• http://pghcomet.blogspot.com Bram R

    This list is not exhaustive:

    1) Money has a way of coming to a fast and firm political consensus. Altruism, on the other hand, squabbles at every possible crucial moment under the confused banners of Shields, Lamb, Dowd, Peduto (Robinson, DeSantis, Acklin, Harris).

    2) Money has a way of finding good candidates, talented political animals, solid stage studs. I feel like altruism struggles in this regard.

    3) About 90% of the voting population does not mind “awful design” or “bland consumerism”, at least to the point where it could identify these things or conceive that anything else is possible. Most of the other 10% don’t really mind it all that much. How was the movie? Did you get a bite to eat afterwords?

    4) There is absolutely no television journalism, and practically no print journalism, to dramatize, sensationalize, or even contextualize local current events.

    90% of the journalists in this town are cynical beyond redemption, and the other 10% wouldn’t matter anyway because 100% of the news producers would rather hurry the hell up and get to sports, weather and crime. If there is a way to learn about the city without reading blogs or being directly involved in politics, I have no idea what that would be.